Be all that you can be, just leave the choices up to me

I am breathing a sigh of relief. Our primary program was yesterday. Lace had her part memorized and I was so touched by all the kids singing and participation. However, I was once again reminded how the children who are sent to us have their own ideas about what they will or won't do. During our practices, Carter sang and did his part just fine. Unfortunately just before the program started he was drawing a picture and messed up and he got mad. He went up onto the stand with me, but during the entire program he sat with a scowl on his face with his fists balled up and needless to say did not sing or do his part. I realized how important it is for me to know that Heavenly Father loves us even when we don't do the things we should. Because I love my children, even when I am frustrated with their choices. I know that it is going to happen more and more as they choose to do things that I have no control over. I have to be okay in the fact that I have taught them and tried to set a good example for them. I think that is why I have been trying so hard to do everything we are told to do. But I know one thing, my children have their free agency to choose not to follow what I teach them. I pray that I will be strong enough to handle that. Because even for something like the primary program, my heart was broken just a little, even if it was probably funny to those watching him. And as of right now, it's not okay with me that they make wrong choices, I don't know how my mom did it! Now that I am a mom, I think free agency stinks! Who's idea was this anyway? Can't we grow without it? No? I guess it all boils down to having faith and hope that they will all turn out to be joyful good people and in the meantime I guess I better find a different mantra, maybe "Be all that you can be, just be careful with free agency? Hmm...

7 comments:

Marie said...

That's not whiney! I think all of us raising kids at this time are freaked out with those exact kind of thoughts. Oh, just wait until my girls start dating! Yikes!

Speaking of yikes, primary program! I am the primary pres in my ward. Ours isn't scheduled until November and we haven't even started working on it yet. The thought is making me break out in a cold sweat even as I type!

Dawn said...

Kids can be so darn frustrating. Why can't they just know that Mom's know best??? And, just do what we say ??? LOL

Yes, it's awesome that God extends his MERCY and Grace to us in all moments.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment!

I love the way that you compare your relationship to your son with God's relationship to us. How many times have I balled up my fists and scowled instead of following God's will? Way more than I care to admit!

Have a beautiful day! Your kids are adorable, by the way.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Thought I'd drop in and say hi. The last picture of you at Paul's wedding is BEAUTIFUL!

It's no surprise to me that you LOVE Halloween. You have too much character to you not to love it.

Motherhood is WAY tougher than I thought it would be and agency is only good when they choose the right. :o)

Candy's daily Dandy said...

As the mom of a teen, I am dreading the whole,"bad choices" thing. She is a great girl and right now I haven't had much to complain about and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I agree with you. The faith in knowing that the values and ideals we instill in them as they grow provide the basis for the choices that they make and also the example we set for them. Free agency or spirit as I call it, may be Gods way of making us different. I try not to discourage that. Within reason, of course.

Hafer Family said...

so funny, I didn't even notice carter was mad! the program was so amazing so don't worry. carter has many more programs ahead of him. no biggie! almost called you the other day- had a hard mommy moment I knew you could relate to!! Nothing worse than having someone cause tears in one of your kids!! Makes the Mama Bear come out big time! kids get over it so much faster than us though!!